Events in World 2015
Events in World 2015
- 1st January, 2015 –
- The Eurasian Economic Union comes into effect, creating a political and economic union between Russia, Belarus, Armenia, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan
- Lithuania officially adopts the euro as its currency, replacing the litas, and becomes the nineteenth Eurozone country.
- 3rd – 7th January, 2015 – A series of massacres in Baga, Nigeria and surrounding villages by Boko Haram kills more than 2,000 people.
- 15th January, 2015 – The Swiss National Bank abandons the cap on the franc’s value relative to the euro, causing turmoil in international financial markets.
- 22nd January, 2015 – After Houthi forces seize the presidential palace, Yemeni President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi resigns after months of unrest.
- 12th February, 2015–
- Leaders from Russia, Ukraine, Germany and France reach an agreement on the conflict in eastern Ukraine that includes a ceasefire and withdrawal of heavy weapons. However, several days later, the Ukrainian government and pro-Russian rebels claim that, within its first day, the ceasefire was broken 139 times, as both sides failed to withdraw their heavy weapons and fighting had continued.
- The United Nations Security Council adopts Resolution 2199 to combat terrorism.
- 16th February, 2015 – The Egyptian military begins conducting airstrikes against a branch of the Islamic militant group ISIL in Libya in retaliation for the group’s beheading of over a dozen Egyptian Christians.
- 5th – 8th March, 2015 – The ancient city sites of Nimrud, Hatra and Dur-Sharrukin in Iraq are demolished by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.
- 6th March, 2015 – NASA’s Dawn probe enters orbit around Ceres, becoming the first spacecraft to visit a dwarf planet
- 12th March, 2015 – The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant becomes allies with fellow jihadist group Boko Haram, effectively annexing the group.
- 24th March, 2015 – An Airbus A320-211 operated by Germanwings crashes in the French Alps, killing all 150 on board.
- 25th March, 2015 – A Saudi Arabia-led coalition of Arab countries starts a military intervention in Yemen in order to uphold the Yemeni government in its fight against the Houthis’ southern offensive
- 2nd April, 2015 – 148 people are killed, the majority students, in a mass shooting at the Garissa University College in Kenya, perpetrated by the militant terrorist organization Al-Shabaab
- 25th April, 2015 – A magnitude 7.8 earthquake strikes Nepal and causes 8,857 deaths in Nepal, 130 in India, 27 in China and 4 in Bangladesh with a total of 9,018 deaths.
- 29th April, 2015 – The World Health Organization (WHO) declares that rubella has been eradicated from the Americas.
- 1st May, 2015 – 31st October, 2015 – Expo 2015 is held in Milan, Italy
- 11th – 12th May, 2015 – Version O of Les Femmes d’Alger by Pablo Picasso sells for US$179.3 million at Christie’s auction in New York, while the sculpture L’Homme au doigt by Alberto Giacometti sells for US$141.3 million, setting a new world record for a painting and for a sculpture, respectively.
- 12th May, 2015 – A second major earthquake in Nepal, measuring 7.3 on the Richter scale, results in 153 deaths in Nepal, 62 in India, 1 in China and 2 in Bangladesh with a total of 218 deaths.
- 23rd May, 2015 – Ireland votes to legalize same-sex marriage, becoming the first country to legalize same-sex marriage by popular vote.
- 2nd June, 2015 – FIFA President Sepp Blatter announces his intention to resign amidst an FBI-led corruption investigation, and calls for an extraordinary congress to elect a new president as soon as possible
- 7th –8th June, 2015 – The 41st G7 summit is held in Schloss Elmau, Bavaria.
- 25th – 26th June, 2015–
- ISIL claim responsibility for four attacks around the world during the Ramadan :
- Kobanî massacre : ISIL fighters detonate three car bombs, enter Kobanî, Syria, and open fire at civilians, killing more than 220.
- Sousse attacks : 22-year-old Seifeddine Rezgui opens fire at a tourist resort at Port El Kantaoui, Tunisia, killing 40 people.
- Kuwait mosque bombing : A suicide bomber attacks the Shia Mosque Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq at Kuwait City, Kuwait, killing 27 people and injuring 227 others.
- 30th June, 2015-
- Cuba becomes the first country in the world to eradicate mother-to-child transmission of HIV and syphilis.
- A Lockheed C-130 Hercules operated by the Indonesian Air Force crashed into a crowded residential neighborhood in Medan shortly after take-off from Soewondo Air Force Base, killing 143 people including 22 others on the ground, marking the second-deadliest air disaster to ever occur in Medan and the deadliest crash in Indonesian Air Force peacetime history.
- 1st July, 2015 – Greek government-debt crisis: Greece becomes the first advanced economy to miss a payment to the International Monetary Fund in the 71-year history of the IMF.
- 14th July , 2015 – NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft performs a close flyby of Pluto, becoming the first spacecraft in history to visit the distant world.
Iran agrees to long-term limits of its nuclear program in exchange for sanctions relief.
- 20th July, 2015 – Cuba and the United States reestablish full diplomatic relations, ending a 54-year stretch of hostility between the nations.
- 24th July, 2015 – Turkey begins a series of airstrikes against PKK and ISIL targets after the 2015 Suruç bombing.
- 5th August, 2015 – Debris found on Réunion Island is confirmed to be that of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370, missing since March 2014
- 17th August, 2015 – A bombing takes place inside the Erawan Shrine at the Ratchaprasong intersection in Pathum Wan District, Bangkok, Thailand, killing 20 people and injuring 125.
- 10th September, 2015 – Scientists announce the discovery of Homo naledi, a previously unknown species of early human in South Africa.
- 18th September, 2015 – Automaker Volkswagen is alleged to have been involved in worldwide rigging of diesel emissions tests, affecting an estimated 11 million vehicles globally.
- 24th September, 2015 – A stampede during the Hajj pilgrimage in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, kills at least 2,200 people and injures more than 900 others, with more than 650 missing.
- 28th September, 2015 – NASA announces that liquid water has been found on Mars.
- 30th September, 2015 – Russia begins air strikes against ISIL and anti-government forces in Syria in support of the Syrian government.
- 10th October, 2015 – A suicide bomb kills at least 100 people at a peace rally in Ankara, Turkey, and injures more than 400 others.
- 23rd October, 2015 – Hurricane Patricia becomes the most intense hurricane ever recorded in the Western Hemisphere, with winds of 200 mph and a pressure of 879 mbar.
- 26th October, 2015 – A magnitude 7.5 earthquake strikes the Hindu Kush region and causes 398 deaths, with 279 in Pakistan, 115 in Afghanistan and 4 in India.
- 31st October, 2015 – Flight KGL9268, an Airbus A321 airliner en route to Saint Petersburg from Sharm el-Sheikh, crashes near Al-Hasana in Sinai, killing all 217 passengers and 7 crew members on board.
- 7th November, 2015 – Chinese and Taiwanese presidents, Xi Jinping and Ma Ying-jeou, formally meet for the first time.
- 13th November, 2015 – Multiple attacks claimed by Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) in Paris, France, result in around 132 fatalities.
- 24th November, 2015 – Syrian Civil War: Turkey shoots down a Russian fighter jet in the first case of a NATO member destroying a Russian aircraft since the 1950s.
- 30th November, 2015 – The 2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP 21) is held in Paris, attended by leaders from 147 nations.
Events in World 2015 – Events in World – Events World Nobel Prize – General Knowledge
General Knowledge Related : Events in World 2015, Events in World History, Events World, Events in World 2015, World sports News 2015, Swiss National Bank Events 2015, Egyptian Military Events 2015, WHO 2015, Greek Government Debit Crisis 2015, NASA New Horizons 2015, Russia 2015, United Nations Climate Change Conference 2015, Iraq War 2015, Current Events of National and International Importance 2015, Current Events of National and International Importance PDF, Current Events of National and International Importance 2015 PDF, Current Events of World 2015, Events in World October 2015, Events of world March 2015,
Posted In general knowledge : Leave a response for events in world 2015 by vennila