The modern society is passing through the phase of information explosion. Information is available in Print Media such as Books, Periodicals, Newspapers, Maps etc. as well as in non – print media such as Compact Disks, Phonograph Records, Films Tapes, Microforms etc. Management of various types of information is a challenge and a highly scientific task. It was the need to manage the information explosion and hence the library and information centers emerged. That was followed by the emergence of Library and Information Science. Library Science emerged as a discipline only in the end of the 19th century.
With increase in micro – literature such as Scientific Periodicals, Patents, theses etc., the new array of techniques emerged which was terms “Documentation”. Next to that, the society is facing the exponential growth of scientific literature, automation and new media of communication ( such as Information Communication Technology – ICT ). This brought sea change in the outlook of Librarians and Documentalists and more so in the users of information. Thus emerged “Information Science” where “Information” is at the center. We can depict the phase of Library & information science” as follows : Library and Information Centers are repositories of knowledge and information and entertainment.
They contain Books, Periodicals, Microfilms, CDs i.e. Print and Non – Print Media for Education, Research and Entertainment etc. Those who scientifically and systematically organize and disseminate these information sources through vivid processes such as Acquisition, Cataloguing, Classification, Reference works and Dissemination of information etc., are called ‘Librarians / Information Managers’. This profession is among top ten most coveted professions in developed countries [ ( http://www.competitionmaster.com ) - Careers in Library Science, p.1 ].
Library and Information Science deals with all kinds of aspects related to Library and Information Centers with a motive to link the information seekers with the required information through various Library and Information operations.
Objective of LIS Program :
- To provide the students knowledge about basic Principles and Fundamentals of LIS.
- To train the learners about various methodology and techniques of Librarianship and Information handling.
- To make students understand the purpose and function of the Library / Information center in the changing scenario of the society.
- To acquaint the learners of the application of different management techniques in managing the Information systems and services.
- To familiarize the students with fundamentals and methodology of Planning, Designing and Developing the Library and Information centers and their services at Local, National, Regional and Global level.
- To make the students aware of application of Information Technology / ICT to LIS.
- To familiarize the learners about the basic knowledge of the quantitative and qualitative techniques in LIS such as statistical methods, quality management, Informetrics and Scientometrics etc.
- To provide the students the basic knowledge of preservation and maintenance of the collections in Library / Information Centres, technical writings etc.
Programs in Library and Information Science :
|Sl.No||Name of Programs||Eligibility||Duration|
|1.||Certificate in Library & Information Science ( CLISc ) / Certificate in Library Science ( CLSC ).||Matric / 10+2 or equivalent.||3 to 6 Months|
|2.||Certificate in Information, communication & Technology ( ICT ) Application in Library ( CICTAL )||10+2 with CLISc / DLSc||6 Months|
|3.||Diploma in Library & Information Sc ( DLISc ) / Diploma in Library Sc ( DLSc )||10+2 or equivalent||1 Year|
|4.||Bachelor of Library & Information Sc ( BLSc ) / Bachelor of Library Sc ( BLSc )||Graduation or equivalent||1 Year|
|5.||BLISc / BLSc ( LIS as subject at B.A level )||10+2 or equivalent||3 Years|
|6.||Post Graduate Diploma in Libaray Automation & Networking ( PGDLAN )||BLIS/BLSc||1 Year|
|7.||Master of Library & Information Science ( MLISc ) / Master of Library Science ( MLSc )||BLISc/BLSc||1 Year|
|8.||MLISc / MLSc ( Integrated Course )||Graduation or equivalent||2 years|
|9.||Associateship in Documentation and Information Science ( ADIS ) [ Equivalent to MLISc / MLSc ]||BLISc / BLSc / MBBS / BE / PG / or equivalent||2 years|
|10.||Associateship of Information Science ( ALS ) [ Equivalent to MLISc / MLSc ]||BLISc / BLSc / MBBS / BE / PG / or equivalent||2 years|
|11.||MSc ( Information Science ) [ Equivalent to MLISc / MLSc ]||Graduation / MBBS / BE / B.Pharma / or Equivalent.||2 year|
|12.||Master of Philosophy ( M.Phil )||MLISc / MLSc or Equivalent.||1 year|
|13.||Doctor of philosophy ( Ph.D )||Same as above||2 to 5 years|
|14.||Doctor of Literature ( D. Litt )||Ph.D|
career course - library and information science -