Career in Library and Information Science
The modern society is passing through the phase of information explosion. Information is available in Print Media such as Books, Periodicals, Newspapers, Maps etc. as well as in non – print media such as Compact Disks, Phonograph Records, Films Tapes, Microforms etc. Management of various types of information is a challenge and a highly scientific task. It was the need to manage the information explosion and hence the library and information centers emerged. That was followed by the emergence of Library and Information Science. Library Science emerged as a discipline only in the end of the 19th century.
With increase in micro – literature such as Scientific Periodicals, Patents, theses etc., the new array of techniques emerged which was terms “Documentation”. Next to that, the society is facing the exponential growth of scientific literature, automation and new media of communication ( such as Information Communication Technology – ICT ). This brought sea change in the outlook of Librarians and Documentalists and more so in the users of information. Thus emerged “Information Science” where “Information” is at the center. We can depict the phase of Library & information science” as follows : Library and Information Centers are repositories of knowledge and information and entertainment.
They contain Books, Periodicals, Microfilms, CDs i.e. Print and Non – Print Media for Education, Research and Entertainment etc. Those who scientifically and systematically organize and disseminate these information sources through vivid processes such as Acquisition, Cataloguing, Classification, Reference works and Dissemination of information etc., are called ‘Librarians / Information Managers’. This profession is among top ten most coveted professions in developed countries [ ( http://www.competitionmaster.com ) – Careers in Library Science, p.1 ].
Library and Information Science deals with all kinds of aspects related to Library and Information Centers with a motive to link the information seekers with the required information through various Library and Information operations.
Objective of LIS Program :
- To provide the students knowledge about basic Principles and Fundamentals of LIS.
- To train the learners about various methodology and techniques of Librarianship and Information handling.
- To make students understand the purpose and function of the Library / Information center in the changing scenario of the society.
- To acquaint the learners of the application of different management techniques in managing the Information systems and services.
- To familiarize the students with fundamentals and methodology of Planning, Designing and Developing the Library and Information centers and their services at Local, National, Regional and Global level.
- To make the students aware of application of Information Technology / ICT to LIS.
- To familiarize the learners about the basic knowledge of the quantitative and qualitative techniques in LIS such as statistical methods, quality management, Informetrics and Scientometrics etc.
- To provide the students the basic knowledge of preservation and maintenance of the collections in Library / Information Centres, technical writings etc.
Programs in Library and Information Science :
|1.||M.D. ( Psychiatry )||Selected for admission to the Post Graduate medical course in any of the medical institutions in the country, shall possess recognized M.B.B.S. degree or equivalent qualification and should have obtained permanent registration with the Medical Council of India.|
|2.||Diploma in Psychological Medicine ( D.P.M. )||Selected for admission to the Post Graduate medical course in any of the medical institutions in the country, shall possess recognized M.B.B.S. degree.|
|3.||Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology||Admission to the clinical psychology doctoral program requires a minimum undergraduate G.P.A. and psychology G.P.A. of 3.0 or above, but students admitted to our program typically have outstanding undergraduate academic records with GPAs that average 3.6 to 3.9|
|4.||Ph.D. in Psychiatric Social Work||A candidate must have completed MBBS degree from an institute recognised by Medical Council of India with at least 60% aggregate .|
|5.||M.Phil in Clinical Psychology||Minimum educational qualification for admission to this course will be M.A ./ M.Sc. degree in Psychology / Counseling Psychology / Clinical Psychology / Applied Psychology from UGC approved University / Institutions securing not less than 55% marks in aggregate.|
|6.||M.Phil in Psychiatric Social Work||MSW, MA Sociology ( regular ) from a recognized University by the UGC with minimum 55% marks in the aggregate. 50% in case of SC / ST candidate.|
|7.||Diploma in Psychiatric Nursing||Candidates should have success fully completed their Diploma in General Nursing and Midwifery. Two years experience as ‘A’ grade certificate staff nurse.|
career course - library and information science -