Career Opportunities in Geology
Career Opportunities in Inter – Disciplinary areas of Geology / Earth Sciences
Geology ( Geo means Earth and Logos means Science ) is the science of study of earth, the materials of which it is made, the structure of those materials, and the processes acting upon them. It includes the study of organisms that have inhabited our planet. An important part of geology is the study of how Earth’s Materials, Structures, Processes and Organisms have changed over time. It is an Inter – disciplinary science related to Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics. It is important to be interested in Science and the Environment. There are many branches of Geology.
Branches of Geology :
Physical Geology – study of work of natural processes which bring changes upon the Earth’s surface; Mineralogy – study of different kinds of Minerals; Petrology – study of different kinds of Rrocks; Palaeontology – study of Fossils; Geomor – Phology – study of Morphology of Earth’s surface; Stratigraphy or Historical Geology – study of Rock in relation to their deposition and age; Structural geology – study of Structures of Rocks: Volcanology – study of Volcanoes; Hydrogeology – study of water bearing capacity of Rocks; Economic Geology – study of Mineral deposits and Fossil fuels; Environmental Geology – study of Environment in relation to Living and Non – living; Seismology – study of Earthquakes; Engineering geology – study of Applications of Geology to Civil Engineering works; Mining Geology – study of Applications of Geology to Mining Engineering; Geophysics – Applications of Physics in Geological study; Rock Mechanics – study of Rocks under different Civil Engineering Properties; Geochemistry – study of different kinds of Elements and their compounds in the earth.
Geologists Work Areas :
Geologists are concerned with the structure, composition and evolution of the Earth and its Natural Resources. Geolo-gists work in a wide variety of different areas, including the following fields :
- Energy Exploration : Using knowledge of how Energy sources, such as Oil, Gas, Coal and Uranium, are formed and may be found. Geologists produce Geological maps, select sites for Surveys and Production, conduct seismic surveys and interpret the results. They advise on drilling operations and collect and analyse samples from drilling.
- Mining and Quarrying : Using information from surveys and underground geological features to give advice on sources of materials such as Slate, Limestone, Sand, Gravel, Clay, Silica, Gypsum and Metallic ores. Geologists advise on exploration, production and future developments.
- Water supplies : Studying the movement, behaviour and quality of groundwater ( Water beneath the Earth’s surface ) and potential sources of pollution. Geologists also design exploration programmes for new water supplies, especially in developing countries.
- Civil Engineering : Assessing the effect of ground conditions on the construction of Buildings, Roads, Bridges, Dams, Tunnels, etc, and advising on how to avoid or reduce problems caused by subsidence, landslides and earthquakes.
- Environmental Geology : Advising on the design and safety of potential sites for waste disposal and advising on contaminated land.
- Geological Mapping and Surveying : Studying and Mapping the distribution of rocks exposed at the Earth’s surface to produce geological maps and databases.
- Research : Study ranging from pure academic geology to applied research directly relevant to industry.
- Teaching : Lecturing at universities on various aspects of geology or teaching geology in schools or colleges.
- Volcanology and Seismology : Studying Volcanoes, Earthquakes and Seismic waves, particularly with the aim or predicting volcanic and seismic events which may affect human population.
- Palaeontology : Studying fossil records in order to better understand the origins and development of life.
Geologist Nature of Work
- Search for Minerals in remote areas and use a range of skills to identify minerals deposits ( Gold, Copper, Iron, Coal, oil, Gas… ).
- Be involved in joint Ventures; Industry / University, Industry / Government, Industry / Industry, Government / Government Banks, Investors…
- Make comparisons between modern processes ( eg. Reefs, Volcanoes, Earthquakes… ) and their ancient equivalents.
- Assist in the rehabilitation of contaminated land.
- Produce plans and maps using high tech electronic equipment.
- Evaluate today’s pollution problems.
- Interact with other disciplines ( Chemistry, Engineering, Technology, Management, Economists ).
- Travel throughout the world.
- Geoscientists follow paths of exploration and discovery in quest of solutions to some of society’s most challenging problems.
- Predicting the behaviour of Earth systems and the universe.
- Finding adequate supplies of Natural Resources, such as Ground Water, Petroleum and Metals.
- Conserving soils and maintaining agricultural productivity.
- Developing Natural Resources in ways that safeguard the environment.
- Maintaining quality of water supplies.
- Reducing human suffering and property loss from Natural Hazards, such as Volcanic Eruptions, Earthquakes, Floods, Landslides, Hurricanes, and Tsunamis.
- Determining geological controls on natural environments and habitats and predicting the impact of human activities on them.
- Defining the balance between society’s demand for natural resources and the need to sustain healthy ecosystems.
- Understanding global climate patterns.
Scopes as Geo Professionals
Geology graduates can seek careers with local authorities. Post graduate degree holders have better career opportunities. Apart from working in the below areas of joining the teaching profession as Associate Professor, Assistant Professor and head / professor in universities and Colleges, Education Officers, Geologists and Researchers can develope programs for media. Scholars of geology can also work as above mentioned area; they can also work independently as researchers.
Geo Professional working Fields :
- Oil and Gas companies
- Water companies
- Mining and quarrying companies
- Civil engineering and construction companies
- Consultancies and service companies that support exploration and production and advise on environmental issues
- Local authorities
- Geological Survey
- National Environment Research Council bodies
- Environmental protection bodies.
Geology Career Opportunities
Working Hours and environment : Working hours and conditions vary considerably between the different types of work. Some geo professionals work normal office hours. Geo Professionals involved in exploration, surveys and production may work for very long hours. The work is both indoors ( in laboratories and offices ) and outdoors ( on land or at sea ). Some outdoor work can take place in very demanding conditions and in remote locations.
Mining geologists often work underground in wet and dirty conditions. For some activities, geologists have to wear protective clothing and safety equipment. Many geologists spend time away from home, ranging from a few days to several months. Work and travel abroad is a feature of some jobs.
Remuneration : The salaries of Geo professionals vary depending upon their individual Qualifications, Experience, Size and Nature of the Hiring institutes. Persons with a superior record and high qualifications can achieve high positions. The salaries in college and university departments are comparable to those of teachers. Indeed, the salaries of special professionals are high. Geo Professionals working in research institutes and private research centers also have handsome earnings. Some oil companies are willing to pay handsome salaries to new geologists.
Course Offering institutes in Geology / Earth Sciences in India : In our country above 75 universities and institutes offer bachelor, master and doctorate degree in geology. For admission to B.Sc. general or honour’s, 10+2 with science either in non-medical or medical subjects with at last 50% marks required. For master degree, a bachelor degree with geology as one of the subject is required with minimum 50%, marks and for Ph.D. there is requirement of at least 55% marks in master degree. However, the rules for admission to bachelor, masters and research degree vary from university to university / institute.
In the country, many universities / institutes are offering courses in geology / earth sciences. Following is the list of universities / institutes offering the education in geology :
|Name of University / Institute||Course||Name of University / Institute||Course|
|Aligarh Muslim University,|
Aligarh, ( Website : www.amu.ac.in ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.||Goa University, |
Goa, ( Website : www.goauniversity.org ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.|
Allahabad, ( Website : www.allduniv.edu ).
|Pandit Ravi Shankar Shukla
Raipur, ( Website : www.prsu.ac.in ).
|Banaras Hindu University,|
Varanasi, ( Website : www.bhu.ac.in ).
|M S University of Baroda,
Vadodara, ( Website : www.msubaroda.ac.in ).
Jhansi, ( Website : www.bundelkhanduniv.org ).
Trivendrum, ( Website : www.kerlauniversity.edu ).
Lucknow, ( Website : www.lkouniv.ac.in ).
|Cochin University of Science & Technology, |
Kochi, ( Website : www.cusat.edu ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc. ( Marine Geology ), Ph.D|
|Patna University, |
Patna, ( Website : www.puonline.bih.nic.in ).
|Mahatma Gandhi University,|
Kottayam, ( Website : www.mguniversity.edu ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D|
|Bhagalpur University, Bhagalpur.||Madras University,
Chennai, ( Website : www.unom.ac.in ).
|University of Delhi,|
Delhi, ( Website : www.du.ac.in ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc., M.Phil, Ph.D.||Anna University,
Chennai, ( Website : www.annauniv.edu ).
|Jawahar Lal Nehru University, |
New Delhi, ( Website : www.jnu.ac.in ).
|M.Sc., ( Environmental Science / Interdisciplinary ), M.Phil, Ph.D.||Annamalai University,
Annamalainagar, ( Website : www.annamalaiuniversity.ac.in ).
Kurukshetra, ( Website : www.kukinfo.com ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc. ( Applied Geology ), M.Tech. ( Applied Geology ) Integrated after 10+2, Ph.D.||Bharathidasan University,
Tiruchirappali, ( Website : www.bdu.ac.in ).
|Maharshi Dayanand University, |
Rohtak, ( Govt. P.G. College, Narnaul ), ( Website : www.mdurohtak.org ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc. ( Geology )||Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, ( Website : www.tnuniv.ac.in ).|
Chandigarh, ( Website : www.puchd.ac.in ).
|B.Sc. ( Hon ), M.Sc.( Hon ), M.Sc. ( Petroleum Geology ), Ph.D.||Sambalpur University,
Burla, Sambhalpur, ( Website : www.sambalpuruniversitypgc.in ).
|Himachal Pradesh University, |
Shimla, ( Website : www.hpuniv.nic.in ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.||Utkal University,
Bhubaneswar, ( Website : www.utkaluniversity.org ).
Srinagar, Garhwal, ( Website : www.hnbgu.in ).
Kolkata, ( Website : www.caluniv.ac.in ).
|D.A.V. College, |
Kolkata, ( Website : www.jadavpur.edu ).
|Indian Institute of Technology, |
Roorkee, ( Website : www.iitr.ac.in ).
|M.Sc. ( Applied Geology ), M.Tech. ( Applied Geology ), Ph.D.||University of Burdwan,
Burdwan, ( Website : www.buruniv.ac.in ).
|Patna University, |
Patna, ( Website : www.puonline.bih.nic.in ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.||Indian Institute of Technology,|
Kharagpur, ( Website : www.iitkgp.ernet.in ).
|M.Sc.( Geological Science ), Ph.D|
|Bhagalpur University, Bhagalpur||University of North Bengal, |
Raja Rammohunpur, ( Website : www.nbu.ac.in ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.|
Ranchi, ( Website : www.ranchiuniversity.org ).
|Jiwaji University, |
Gwalior, ( Website : www.jiwaji.edu ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc.,( Earth Sciences ), Ph.D|
|Vinoba Bhave University,|
|Vikram University, |
Ujjain, ( Website : www.vikramuniversity.org ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc., M.Phil, Ph.D.|
|Indian School of Mines University,|
Dhanbad, ( Website : www.ismdhanbad.org ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc., M.Tech. ( Applied Geology ), Ph.D.||Barkatullah University,|
Bhopal, ( Website : www.bubhopal.nic.in ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc., ( Applied Geology ), Ph.D.|
Pondicherry, ( Website : www.pondiuni.org ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.||Dr. Harising Gaur University, Sagar, ( Website : www.sagaruniversity.nic.in ).||B.Sc., M.Tech. ( Applied Geology ), Ph.D.|
Hyderabad, ( Website : www.osmania.ac.in ).
|Awadhesh Pratap Singh University, |
|B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.|
Visakhapatnam, ( Website : www.andhrauniversity.info ).
Pune, ( Website : www.unipune.ernet.in ).
|Tripati University, |
|Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University,
Amaravati, ( Website : www.amtuni.com ).
|Indian Institute of Technology,|
Bombay, ( Website : www.iitb.ac.in ).
|M.Sc. ( Applied Geology ), M.Tech, ( Exploration Geology ), Ph.D.||Nagpur University,
Kolahapur, ( Website : www.shivajiuniversity.com ).
|B.Sc., M.Sc., Ph.D.||Deccan College Post Graduate and Research Institute,
Pune, ( Website : www.deccancollege.edu ).
|Nagaland University, |
Kohima, ( Website : www.nagauniv.org ).
Aizawl, ( Website : www.mzu.edu.in ).
|Assam University, |
Silchar, ( Website : www.assamuniversity.nic.in ).
Canchipur, Imphal, ( Website : www.manipur.nic.in ).
Dibrugarh, ( Website : www.dibru.ernet.in ).
Guwahati, ( Website : www.gu.nic.in ).
Career Opportunities in Inter – Disciplinary areas of Geology / Earth Sciences – Branches of Geology – Geologists Work Areas – Geologist Nature of Work – Scopes as Geo Professionals – Geo professional working Fields – Career Opportunities for Geologists – Geology Interdisciplinary Science – Earth Science Researchers – Careers with Earth Science Degree
Career Course Related : Geology Careers and Salaries, Geoscientists Career Options, Geology Institutes Pune, Career Opportunities in Geology, Earth Science in Delhi University, Earth Science Colleges in India, Geology Career Opportunities, Geology Earth Science Studies Online, Branches of Geology List, Geologists Career Information, Geologists Career Paths, Geologists Employment Opportunities, Geology Graduate Degree Programs, Geology Teaching Jobs, Research Jobs in Geology, Mineral Exploration Geologist Salary, Civil Engineering Geology Vacancies Jobs, Geology Environmental Careers, Vacancies in Earth Science Geologist Jobs in India, Vacancy for Geological Environmental, Geology Earth Science Career Courses, Geology Admissions, Geology Earth Science Colleges, Geology Fields of Study, Physical Natural Processes, Geology Study of Earth, Geology Development Recruitment Jobs, Seismology Volcanology Geology, Career Options Geology Degree, Career Geology Earth Science,
Posted In career course : Leave a response for career opportunities in geology by Yoga A